Thursday, May 28, 2009

Truly Bored...and Truly French.

Its been a while since I've posted on the family blog and because I am so bored at work right now, I figured I would share with everyone the details of my monotonous day. Secretly, I love my new job. The people are nice and the phone never rings, so I get to read books (of my choice) all day. I've already organized every closet to be organized and color coded every pen/pencil box to be color coded. I've even arranged the post-it notes in an incredibly beautiful display. When my eyes start to go cross-eyed I usually take a break from reading. Currently, thanks to Mom, I'm reading a really great book called the 'Poisonwood Bible.' But that isn't the point. The point is, I have learned more at my new job than I have in a long time.
My very wise husband suggested that I start researching things on the internet so my brain doesn't get "fried." I asked him yesterday what I should research first and he said Stingrays. So I began my search on wikipedia and read all about Stingrays. Did you know they can grow up to 35 feet wide? Its true. Well, stingrays did kill Steve Irwin, so what did I do? Researched Steve Irwin. His wife is from Eugene, OR, where Nick served his mission - coincidence? I think not. After learning the hobbies, bloodtypes, and pet peeves of the Irwin family (Steve, Terri, Bindi and Bob) I went on to some slightly more intellectual topics including the origins of stainless steel cooking pots and Angelina Jolie.
Eventually, France got the best of me like it always does. I began looking up my favorite pieces of art in Paris and surrounding areas. Then I researched some of my favorite French artists (Rodin mostly). I was feeling quite French. I decided to check the origins of my name to see if possibly...I was meant to be "la premiere francaise" or the first french woman. For those of you who are bored and simply reading this to be polite, this is where it finally gets interesting. My name Sydney is technically an English name, BUT derived from a VERY VERY VERY french source. Saint Denis, the patron saint of my beloved country France is the root of my seemingly English "surname." When pronounced with the proper French accent, Saint Denis sounds more like S'Denny which equals Sydney in English! Needless to say, I not only felt extremely proud, (for Saint Denis is carved front and center on the Notre Dame) but also truly French. It has always been something that I have battled with throughout my life. Knowing that I had deep French roots, but not sure why. Fortunately for my future prosperity, they will experience the best of all three countries - America, France, and of course Ireland. Durrell and Shelly - You two were truly inspired when you named me. How can I ever thank you?

5 comments:

Darcee said...

Wow, you really are bored. I will rest much better tonight knowing that you have found true identity in your French roots.
I miss you guys. Keith and Cole keep saying your name and Nick's. They always say them together. It's cute. I've kept them practicing your names with your engagement photo. You will not be forgotten.

sheila said...

Hey, I need pictures with that book you just wrote! How about a pic of a stingray or maybe even a pic from France. Don't give up, you just might get published some day. Hope marital bliss is going great for Snick. I miss you two!

chelsea said...

S'Denny, Does this mean we have to start calling you S'Denny? While you're at it can you find some latin root to my name? I need to prove my latina-ness. I totally get the boredem at work--I usually combat the long days with activities like stalking peoples blogs, planning trips I will probably never take, researching historic places in the DC area that could prove to be good road trips, googling people, reading the news (both CNN, MSN, and E!News--I have to cover all my basis), researching books for our book club, online shopping-usually its just to browse:), studying geography--I'm I nerd I know, and checking my 3 email accounts every hour or so. This is of course squeezed in between saving African children! Where are the pics of wedding, honeymoon, new apartment???!!!

Sydney said...

Darc- keep up the good work with the boys. I better not be forgotten! Chels- thanks for all the good ideas, I'm going to start researching vacations, road trips, historic places, and brush up on my celebrity gossip. I've got the online shopping thing down - so no worries there. And I really want to put up pictures, but our internet at our apartment isn't working, so once it's fixed I will put up pics!

Darrell said...

Is this what ten of thousands of dollars and countless late night studies invested in education produces? ...I couldn't be prouder. Keep up the good fight to trivialize work.