Thursday, November 5, 2009

WYR...in Israel

One of the greatest games known to man/women is: WYR. Or for you acronym deficient fools: Would you rather… This basically requires, the brave few, to make life altering decisions based on hypothetical situations. The only rule is that you have to answer. Examples of such questions include WYR…have a hard armadillo shell or gills like Kevin Costner in Water world. WYR…talk like Donald Duck or laugh like Goofy. WYR…eat only hot dogs for the rest of your life OR have to cover everything you eat in mayonnaise for the rest of your life. WYR…Marry the next man that walks around the corner OR never get married. Unless Zac Efron hangs out in your neck of the woods, this decision could cause a single girl some serious distress. The other day at work I was presented with an equally problematic WYR. Here is goes: WYR…get dressed up in your favorite disguise, attend crazy dance parties, and hope for a year supply of high caloric sugar treats OR jump on the nearest plane headed to the Holy Land for an all expenses paid 3 week business trip with the hope of weekend jaunts to the Bethlehem and the Dead Sea. Ok let’s be honest my tiara can wait…Israel here I come!!!

Well actually I am already here in Tel-Aviv! I arrived last Sunday in the NYC of the Middle East. I have to be honest and say that I haven’t seen much outside of my hotel and my office but the views of the Mediterranean Sea from my hotel room are incredible. The other day during breakfast I watched the morning surfers trying to catch some waves as I gorged myself on grape leaves, greek salad, warm pita bread, and grapes. It’s a very international city and I can’t really figure out what language everyone is speaking (Hebrew and Arabic are the main ones—I can’t tell the difference between them) but who really needs to communicate right?

Alas, you think I am living the high life, keep in mind that I am working and that I have to spend abnormal amounts of time by myself which I am finding to be extremely painful. I was hoping this would be some kind of personal sabbatical but after I started talking to myself on day 2, I realized that I need human interaction more then I thought. The worst part is having to go to dinner by myself, but then I remember where I am and that you can eat hummus, eggplant, and exotic cheeses every meal and life gets good again. This is the furthest “east” I have ever been and I feel a little out of my element but go hard or go home, right? I was feeling sorry for myself the other night and Melissa encouraged me to stop being a baby so I ventured out last night and to a market up the street from my hotel. It was a mix between Pike’s market and Tijuana and I felt right at home. Nothing like a little retail therapy to make me feel at better! (Thanks, Mel!!)

So in the spirit of this post: WYR…go to Jerusalem this weekend or FILL IN THE BLANK. I am choosing Jerusalem or J’lm as the locals call it—How long to you have to live some place before you are considered a local?

PS. Sorry no pics-my laptop and camera are not communicating as I would like. Hopefully I can get them to link up soon until then you get Google image specials

5 comments:

Sydney said...

Chela,
Would you rather have to watch "From Justin to Kelly," every day for the rest of your life, or live with Joy Langely for the rest of your life?

PS, your trip looks amazing!

chelsea said...

Syd, this may be the best WYR ever expect it's so easy---From Justin to Kelly!

Darcee said...

CJ, I wish I was there to keep you company. I miss you. Everytime I pick up the phone and want to talk to you, I cannot and it makes me very sad. So, for selfish reasons I really want you to come home. But I hope you are enjoying it as much as possible. That does stink to not talk to anyone. Trust me, I know. Why do you think I call you all the time? I need to converse about things other than Wild Things, monsters and elephants. Please gorge yourself on grape leaves and hummus and think of me. Then maybe I can eat vicariously through you. I'm so jealous! Can't wait to hear about it soon and in person!!!

sheila said...

Hey Chels, WYR eat hummus and grape leaves or roasted turkey and stuffing at your mothers house??? That is the question! Can't wait for the big day so I can hear about your latest adventure!! Love you lots and lots.

Darrell said...

Every time you post I sense a greater wanderlust and think about joining you for a few days. What a great experience. Although, I'm going to be honest, we worry about you and look forward to you coming home for Thanksgiving. Be safe! Have I told you that recently?