Friday, February 4, 2011

Darcee







When Darcee was 13 I took her, Chelsea and Sydney on a fairly long backpacking trip for young kids . Sydney was 5 and couldn't carry much. She had a small backpack, but could only carry her blankie and her sleeping bag. In order to get everything on our backs I placed a very heavy load on Darcee. She was always physically a very strong little girl. She didn't complain or question my wisdom in putting most of Sydney's stuff and most of the food in her pack (I had the tent, stove and fuel). On the second day Sydney began to fade. She started to cry and said that she couldn't carry her sleeping bag. I looked at Darcee and told her that she would just have to man up and carry her little sister's sleeping bag. She didn't complain. Again she didn't question my decision to put more weight on her back. The third day, she whimpered a little bit when we got ready to put our backpacks on.

"What wrong?", I asked.
"Dad, I think my hips are bruised from the weight."
"What you can't bruise your hips?! That's crazy! You just need to be tough for one more day. I know you can do it!"
She then hiked down her pants far enough for me to see the bruises on her hips! Who knew that you could bruise your hips from carrying heavy weight? I felt terrible. However, we were in a pickle. I couldn't fit anything more in my pack, or on my back. Again, Darcee was just going to have to man up and be in pain a little while longer.

I have always expected a lot from my kids, especially Darcee. Experts say that if you raise a perfect first child, the rest of the herd will follow. (Okay, I don't know if any real expert actually said such a thing, but I believe it to be true.) Regardless, Sheila and I raised in every way imaginable a perfect first child. And, in deed, the rest of the herd has followed.

I have always expected my kids to do hard things, whether it was climbing mountains, enduring epic bike rides, or simply working in the garden, I have wanted them to do hard things without complaint. Actually, I have expected a few complaints here and there. However, in looking back on the things we have done, I don't know of anyone tougher than Darcee.

She and Brent are facing a very tough battle right now. We keep telling her, "You can do this!" Although it breaks our hearts to see her carrying such a heavy load, if anyone can do this, it's our perfect first child. I have never doubted her strength, her faith or her courage. We stand in awe at what an amazing mother she has become. While we might falter and doubt, we have complete faith in a most remarkable daughter.

6 comments:

Saimi said...

I'm crying here Darrell, we're keeping their family and yours in our prayers.

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Your family is amazing and will faithfully endure what ever comes. I hope you can feel all the prayers being said, because there is many.

Susi Daw said...

I was choking back the tears! We were sorry to hear about Keith. He, his family and yours will be in our prayers.

Nancy said...

I have always thought Darcee was pretty perfect too. :) Something I have learned in life is that you can do hard things. They are definitely not fun, but you CAN do them. Darcee will be just fine. Love you all!!

MaryJane said...

I've been heart sick since I first read Darcee's post. The prayers just keep coming along with a tear or two every time I think of Keith and what you all are going through.

Rachel Elder said...

Darcee is amazing. I look up to her so much. Great post:)