Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Chubby Bunny and The Sheamanator Do Mt. Adams

Shea and I on the foggy, wet summit of Mt. Adams.



I asked Shea what he wanted to do for his last free weekend before his mission. I suggested motorcycle riding, or a concert--you know something really fun and memorable. Instead, he and George Parsons opted to climb Mt. Adams. I don't know why I keep going back to Mt. Adams. The south side of Adams is a long miserable slog with very little of interest until the last 1,500 feet. This year, there was so much snow that we couldn't get into Cold Springs. We hiked from Morrison Creek, which adds another 5 miles+ onto the climb. Our suffering was complete. I am still not in dress shoes. I have been wearing slip on sandals for the past week, including to church and court. Fortunately, Derek Parsons joined us and kicked steps on the summit face, otherwise we might not have made it. It was mostly a warm climb, but typically of the Cascade Summits, we "enjoyed" snow, sleet and cold winds, all within a 24 hour window. We camped at about 7,000 feet. We had some decent views, but none from the top. The glisade down was awesome, of course--3,000 vertical feet of "butt-sledding."

2 comments:

Sydney said...

What a fun hike. Shea and George will remember that for a long time. It's always an adventure with the human compass

smartchelsea said...

The chubby bunny should feel pretty great that the last requests from the future elders was to suffer with the human compass--I guess they have been listening:)