Sunday, September 13, 2009

Mom knows best...

...and I should have listened. In preparation for Sarah's wedding, Meliss and I attempted to dye our hair a few days before we left for San Francisco. It was one of those late night ideas that seemed like a good one at the time. Mom hates it when we dye our hair and I was reminded of her wise council when I rinsed my hair and the dark chocolaty brown looked blue. That's right as in navy blue—like its so dark it has blue hues. Or plum—depending on the lighting. I look like one of those UT girls that dyes their black in order to be really edgy. Or like someone who is planning a trip to a country south of the border and wants to fit in. Or like I got little carried away with a Sharpie. Or like I am trying out for Wicked. I could continue if you don’t have an accurate picture of what it looks like yet. So the next morning I thought maybe I a wash would lighten it up a little. After five washes—it looked the same. I pulled my hair back in a bun, put on a headband and hoped that wearing navy would offset the ebony color on top of my head. As soon as I arrived at work, in order not to burst into random fits of hysteria, I called my hair salon and as luck would have it they were closed. I called 4 different places and finally got an appointment for that evening at a random place. When the girl showed up to "fix" my hair, she had the same exact blueish black color of hair. In an attempt to not offend her I tried to explain that my new hair hue wouldn't match the bridesmaid dress I would have to wear the following weekend. She gave me two options: bleach or warm toned wash. I figured I go with the least drastic option. I guess Sarah really loves me because she let me be part of her wedding even with navy blue hair.


On a happier note, we had a great "SMIKAH" wedding weekend in Oakland and San Fran. Sarah and Mike looked great and everything turned out perfect.


Mike spent so much time at our house, I feel like we went from 5 roommates down to 3. We can't find anyone as great as Sarah so Meliss and I are turning the "spare" bedroom into our study. Maybe it will help us get into grad school.


We had fun exploring San Fran and we squeezed a lot into our long weekend, including a drive across the Golden Gate, Pier 39, crab chowder, Ghiradelli Square, Lombard St (twice!), Alcatraz, and Berkely. (Visiting Berkely made me grateful for my singles ward in DC!)





We're happy the Johnsons finally made it "offish" and even more happy they are only 2 blocks away. Our west coast adventure was the my 5th trip to the opposite coast this year and while I am sick of the 7 hour flight I love the west coast!

7 comments:

Nick said...

Looks like a super fun trip. I love San Fran. Syd dropped me off at Pier 39 dock to hang with my friends the seals why she shopped. Good times. See you at Thanksgiving Chels.

Sydney said...

Chels! You looked beautiful even with navy hair! Sarah did a great job (and so did you and meliss) of making things look great!
I only dropped nick off with the seals because he ASKED. Plus when a Smart girls' gotta shop...she's gotta shop.

sheila said...

My favorite thing about your post was when you said you love the west coast! (Yahoo!) You do look beautiful despite NOT heeding your dear old mom. You and your roomies are such cuties everywhere you visit. LOVED the pics! Counting the days until we give thanks!

Darrell said...

When will you silly girls learn that you have the color, the highlights, the texture, the tints, the bounce and the lustre in your hair that all other women envy. STOP WITH THE DYE!!! My lack of head hair has caused me to be very observant and appreciative of excellent hair. Stop messing with yours PULEEEASE!!!... Thanks for the pics and the excellent post, however.

Darcee said...

I'm so glad you had so much fun in San Fran. I love visiting there! I don't think your hair looks that bad in the pics, but seriously, you need not use home hair dye on your hair. That's a VERY bad idea. Take it from the one who got a butch haircut from a beauty-school drop out at a resort in Cancun. (Also a VERY bad idea.)
Congrats to Sara!

Bryce and Leanna said...

Chelsea,
You look beautiful in the wedding pics! You can't even see the blue hair. I miss you tons! Annie

Unknown said...

I have a solution for you Chels- move to the west coast! P.S. You've got gorgeous hair, you certainly don't need to color it, you've inherited great genes! I'm always wowed by your mom's hair. By the way, those were way cute bridesmaid dresses!