Saturday, September 11, 2010

E. Dehellerin's-- A Paris Institution



Most of you who have seen the movie Julie and Julia and will remember the scene where Julie Child visits the cooking supply store in Paris to purchase everything she needed to become a great French cook. The store was Dehellerin’s. Its an institution for real chefs in Paris. Its where chefs buy things cooking related that can be had no where else in the world. It’s where they take their copper sauce pans to be re-tinned. It’s where wanna-be-chefs hang out and dream. At the entrance of Dehellerin’s, we were randomly approached by a very giddy middle-aged women from London who wanted to show us all that she had just purchased, “They’ve got everything in there! Have you ever seen herb scissors like these?” she asked. I was thinking to myself, “I didn’t even know there was such a thing as ‘herb scissors’ let alone specialized or unique ‘herb scissors.’” Who knew?

Dehellerin’s looked like a mess in the movie. After having actually been inside the store, I’m convinced it was given a thorough Hollywood make over and sanitized for the movie. In real life it’s way messier and way cooler. Dimly lit, with raw hewn timbers exposed, it’s has the feel of the Seattle Goodwill store, but chic and way more expensive. There’s stuff everywhere. I saw no computers behind the counter—I’m pretty sure that our tab was calculated on an abacus. It’s a wonder they have even have electricity. It was truly remarkable that the helpful clerks were immediately able to locate everything that we asked them about.

The cook that I sleep with was giddy the moment she crossed the threshold and upon entry exclaimed, “How am I going to get all of this home?” “Indeed,” I mused. This was an experience for the She-wolf that I was just happy to witness. What concerned me most was not that she wanted to buy out the store, but rather her absolute confidence that she didn’t need to buy everything because she would be back and could get it next time. Say what?! What a silly boy I was to even think that this was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. So, if you need us to pick you up a little something from Dehellerin’s, just put it on a list, I’m sure the She-wolf would love to help you out.

2 comments:

chelsea said...

HMMMM... I can think of a few things to add to the list. :) Don't forget your daughters who are going without their favorite confidant, your grand children who are in some serious need of being spoiled, and your son who needs an email or two.

Darcee said...

Ha! I love the part about getting stuff next time you come! Still laughing about that! Glad you guys are having fun!