Thursday, September 9, 2010

Party On



Happy 50th Birthday, Mom!!!

As I've reflected on Mom's life today, I couldn't help but think of all that she's accomplished in her 50 years.
She has a marriage worth emulating, largely due to her ability to serve and listen. Keep in mind she must listen to my dad say the same things over and over and over and over again. It's a true sacrifice...
She's given birth to 6 children and been able to raise 5 to adulthood. Now that I'm a mother, I can truly appreciate what that entails. Four of her children who are old enough have been to and are currently worthy to attend the temple. Two of her children have served (or are serving missions). Two of her children are sealed in the temple to incredible, hard-working people. All three of her children who are old enough have Bachelor degrees. She's an A-mazing Grandma. I could go on and on, but seriously, just take my word on this one.
Mom has served diligently in numerous callings in the church including the Young Women, the Relief Society and the Primary programs. She serves in the temple weekly. Who knows how many lives she has changed through her service?
She's well-read. I can always know the latest books to read by talking to her. She's never steered me wrong.
She's physically active. Mom works out daily. She has climbed Mt. Hood, an 11,000 foot peak and can still take it to the lake on water skis.

She's an accomplished cook, entertainer and decorator. No week passes by without her entertaining people: church leaders and members, close or distant relatives, friends of her children, missionaries and sometimes perfect strangers. Not only are her dishes delectable, but they are a feast for the eyes as well. In addition to being an exquisite entertainer, she has mastered the art of service. She can anticipate what those around her need before they ask. She remembers what each of her kids like and don't like and she plans meals accordingly.
She has learned how to furnish and decorate like nobody I know. And she has even earned the status of Fashion Icon, well at least in our family. It's true, like my dad always says, she's "smokin' hot"! How many 50 year olds can say that?

I know there are things I'm missing but I had to share a few things that struck me today as I reflected on what she's accomplished and hope that by the time I'm 50 I can say that I've spent my time as wisely as she has spent hers. I'm a direct beneficiary of how Mom has chosen to spend her fifty years so far.
And so in closing, to let mom know that turning 50 is not the end, it is necessary to quote Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar, "Party on, (Mom)! Party on!"







5 comments:

Saimi said...

Happy Birthday to truly an AMAZING woman!!

We love you Shelia!!

MaryJane said...

Happy Birthday, Shelia. You go girl!

Darrell said...

This was such a great post (and well deserved), although not entirely accurate. Mom listens to me because I am interesting and always have such incredible insights on current affairs, family events and our marital relationship. FYI: Your mom thinks I am funny (and so do I). Thx for this wonderful summation and tribute to your mother.

sheila said...

What a kind birthday tribute Darc, and of course you know it brought a tear or two to my eyes. I don't know where you had to time to write that but it was very, very appreciated. It was like dessert on top of an already over the top birthday provided by your Dad. I love you dearly, thanks again, Mom. P.S. Yes, at times I think your Dad is funny!

Rachel Elder said...

I LOVE THE SHE-WOLF!! (Im not sure if Im allowed to call her that, but its such cool nick name I had to:) Sheila is such a sweet heart and so much fun! What a great post. She really is SO accomplished and such an amazing lady! Not to mention she really does look so good! Happy Birthday She!