Thursday, April 23, 2009

Earth Day!

I know I am a day late but I am cutting myself a break considering jetlag and the 700 emails that were waiting for me upon my return from Africa. Yesterday was Earth Day and in celebration, we went to see the movie “Earth”, a documentary by Disney about the Earth, its plants and animals. I did fall asleep for a little bit (jetlag!), but it was really well done. Plus, proceeds from the movie ticket went toward planting a tree. In honor of the special occasion, I thought I would share some of my pictures from the safari I went on while in Tanzania. I promise tax dollars were well spent on the trip--in order to get to one of our sites we had to drive right through a game reserve. We could see lots of animals from the road but on the way back to the capital, we decided to get a closer look at the animals. It was cool to see the animals in their natural setting.












\





Here is a video of a Male Elephant that was not happy with how close we got to his family.




More pics to come of the work while in Africa.

7 comments:

cheryl said...

Amazing pictures! What an awesome opportunity. I can't wait to see more.

Darcee said...

Wow! Those pics are awesome! The boys would have been in heaven! I seriously cannot wait to hear more about your trip! I'm glad Earth was a good show. I think the boys would like that too. We'll have to rent that one. Can't wait to see you in 1 week!

sheila said...

Loved your post, that safari was fantastic! I can't believe all the cool things you have been able to do. I can't wait to hear more about your African adventures. See you in sunny Cal!

Unknown said...

Holy cow Chels... that is CRAZY! I didn't know you were going to Africa! I'm so excited for you that you had that adventure! Those pics. are nuts! Glad your back home safe! I'll hopefully talk to you soon!

Love you!

Fav. cuz

Sydney said...

Steve Erwin has nothing on you chels. Hopefully you don't die by sting ray bite. JK, but seriously...your life should be a reality show because it is pretty much amazing. Love the safari pics! See you on Thursday!

Darrell said...

The end of the elephant video is so telling about you..."He won't charge." At least I am pretty sure that is your voice. Since when did you become such an expert on charging African bull elephants? While you were gone to Africa I was quite worried. Africa seems so foreign and dangerous. So I kept reminding myself that you are grown up, mature and capable of making intelligent decisions. However, that last comment ("He won't charge") reminds me that you will always be Chelsea. Confident and optimistic to a fault.

What an amazing daughter you are!

chelsea said...

My abilities to judge the outcomes of the dad elephant stem from watching Dumbo and animal planet and having a brother that used to aspire to be Steve Erwin. I wasn't worried--our 12 year old guide Samuel had already guaranteed me we wouldn't die and I trusted him:)