Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Blackmail





Chelsea has graciously given me until Friday to post on the family blog before she publishes some secret scary photos of me. I'm not sure why I really care, since Syd seemed to have pretty well taken care of that with her last post. Thank you, Sydney.
So, in an effort to retain some sort of blog-dignity, I'm finally posting.
Part of the problem with posting on the family blog is that I feel a need to post about some exotic travel or riveting experience. With Sydney reminiscing about Dublin, my parents spending the last 10 days in Tahiti and Chelsea jet-setting in Thailand and Tokyo for the past 2 weeks, I feel that I have little to offer by way of culture, refinement or even relaxation.
Perhaps I can make up for that in raw shock-value. Let me explain. Tonight while making a quick dinner for my fam so I could scoot out the door to go to the Relief Society Birthday dinner (BTW, I really can't figure out why they serve dinner at these things when you have to make dinner for your family anyway. It's not like I'm getting a night off or anything. Anyway, that's a whole other post for another day.)
So, I'm hurriedly making dinner when all of a sudden Cole walks in the kitchen with no pants on and says, "I need help wis my shirt." He was trying to take it off. He turns around and I can see that not only is he pant-less but also diaper-less. I reluctantly help him take off his shirt but quickly put a diaper back on him. The second I turn around again, he strips off his diaper and is off running around the house "ala naked". He eloquently explains, "I just want to run with my pee-pee out." Brilliant. The re-diapering routine continues 3 times as I insist that he wear a diaper unless he is willing to go potty in the toilet. He responds with, "No, I just go potty in my diaper." Triple GRRR.
So, finally, I return to wrapping up dinner preparations when all of a sudden I look in the entryway and see a bare bum up in the air with hands splashing in liquid below. I don't think I have to explain much further. Cole runs up to me and shows me his hands, "My hands dirty." I quickly wash his hands, diaper him for the FOURTH time, clean up the urine with a rag, disinfect the floor with 409 and return to my noodles which are now very, very beyond "al dente". They are more of a soft mush. Awesome.

So, in short, please forgive me for not cataloging my adventures on the family blog. When your days mostly revolve around goobers, boy anatomy, Buzz Lightyear, spit-up, drool, potty-humor, T-rex and an occasional outing to the local library, it somehow pales in comparison to Dublin, Tahiti, Tokyo, Thailand, Paris, London, Peru, several small countries in Africa, and any other destinations I've failed to mention where a member of the Smart family has traversed in the last year.

Sydney, for future reference, you haven't even begun to fully understand the phrase, "Scratch and Claw".








5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a streaker that would always remove a "full" diaper. I figured out that if I put her onese on backwords she couldn't get the snaps off and so the streaking stopped. That might help in having to rediaper so often.

You may not travel but you are helping change the world by being a wonderful mom to your children.

MaryJane said...

Darcee, I love this post. Thanks to whichever sister finally got you put one up. Your days may not seem very "adventurous" to you, but I for one love reading the daily doings around the Burnett house. Your kids (and Brent) are really lucky to have you.

chelsea said...

Darc, you life is an adventure I would love to be part of! At least you get to spend days with the cutest kids on the planet. No worries Darel will be Syd and I's next target. Thanks for posting!

Darrell said...

There is no place on the planet that can compare with hanging out with my exceptional, beautiful and intelligent grandchildren. You're where you're supposed to be.

Nancy said...

Actually, I like hearing about child adventures because it brings back so many fond and exasperating memories! Thanks for sharing!