Sunday, March 21, 2010

Tolo







I've never really understood girls and their ability to turn a simple high school dance into a major production that involves weeks of discussions about what girl is going to invite what boy and making sure that the feelings of their friends are not injured too badly, weeks of agonizing shopping to find the perfect dress, special activities to issue an invitation (or accept an invitation), shopping for the young man's tie to make sure that it adequately matches their dress, several trips to alter the dress to perfection, multiple tanning sessions and then hours of prep (or is it "primp") time to make sure that hair, skin and dresses are the picture of perfection. In contrast, my recollection of every major high school dance that I attended involved two simple rules: 1) remembering to take a shower, and 2) a liberal application of Hai Karate cologne. (Adherrence to these simplistic rules might explain my high degree of high school popularity. However, when my kids of have viewed the only extant picture of me at a high school dance they have accused me of being a bit delusional. Who knows for certain? At some level I am sure that my memory is mostly intact to protect my ego.)
In the end, I have to admit that when I witness the final production of my girls in formal dance mode it takes my breath away. It also makes me so very grateful that I married such a beautiful and sophisticated woman who has blessed me with four most exceptional, beautiful and amazing daughters. Here are some pictures of Lil' D, her date Max and her cronies. Beautiful creatures all, don't you agree?!

8 comments:

Tara Hibbard said...

Darel you look beautiful! I want to see a full body picture of the dress! Love you!

Anonymous said...

She is Beautiful!!!!

You are a pro by now with all your girls.

I am so impressed with how beautifully she is while being so modest. What a great example she is.

Sydney said...

You forgot to mention the Shewolf's fashion sense. Where would we be without it?

And the "primping" is SO worth it! its what keeps the Smart girls SO popular.

Saimi said...

How fun and how absolutly beautiful the girls are especially Darel! Just goes to show you can dress modestly and still look gorgeous!

chelsea said...

We may have gotten our looks and fashion sense from Shelly but we definately got our dance moves from Durrell!

Darel, you're a hottie! You better get your party pants ready for Spring Break in DC!

Alix said...

Darel you look gorgeous!! Love ya! :)

Darcee said...

lil'd, I LOVE your dress, although I still really liked the green one, too. I hope you still wear that one some day...Anyway, can't wait to hear the dets of the night and you seriously look A-Mazing! Your hair is kickin'! Did you do it yourself?
Dad, what the what is "Hai Karate" cologne and most importantly, did you really wear it? Yikes...

Nick said...

Darcee -- Not fully sure if you are in a position to be making fun of Darrell for wearing the infamous (at least in the male world) Hai Karate cologne when you yourself are using terminology such as "kickin'"in your everyday vocabulary. Just an observation.

Poking fun probably isn't the best way to make me second debut back into the blogging world, but since I am already family for eternity I think I can risk it.