Saturday, May 8, 2010

Can You Say ASB President?!




Darel has often felt that she lives in the shadow of her older siblings. I have told her that her motto needs to be "Best for Last" and that only one of my children was "blessed" with my name. At that reminder, she usually grumbles something unintelligible, but I suspect has something to do with those great existential questions, "Where did I come from?" and "How do I get the heck outta here?" Her siblings have all been good students, involved in athletics and student government. She feels the pressure, and worries that she somehow does not quite measure up. In an effort to set herself apart, she decided to run for ASB President--something none of her siblings dared to attempt. I was just proud of her for having the courage to run. It's hard to run and then not win. She was Speaker of the House in ASB this year and did a fabulous job. The faculty advisor for ASB repeatedly told us how hard Darel was working in ASB. Despite a very demanding academic schedule, she has found the time to be a great student leader.
As you might have suspected, I generously volunteered to be her campaign manager. I was sorely disappointed when she turned this offer down. I explained that, although I had never been popular enough to run for school office, that I was keenly interested in politics and would assemble an impressive campaign machine and quickly have the troops marshalled for "Team Smart." She simple cringed and said, "Thanks, but no thanks Dad. I want to win." I have no idea what she meant by that last comment, since I was entirely confident that I could deliver the biggest ASB prize to her doorstep. Instead she worked with Brandon Chin (who incidentally deserves a post or two himself), a friend of hers who was running for ASB Vice President. They worked hard and created some most excellent posters, including the ever favorite, although somewhat trite, "Be Smart, Vote Smart."


It was a long hard two week campaign, that ended with a painfully protracted 2-day delayed announcement of the winner. In the end, Lil D prevailed and is so excited about being WVHS' ASB President. The evening following the announcement, I asked her to do the dishes. She saucily replied, "Does the ASB President have to do the dishes?" I reminded her that I didn't vote for her, that her jurisdiction as ASB President ends when she exits the doors of WVHS and that because of that particular remark, that she would be helping me in the garden on Saturday.

Actually, Lil D is very humble and is nice to everyone. And we really like her friends. They are respectful and excellent students. She was so excited that her best friends who were running for ASB positions (Jordana and Brandon) also won. We are proud of her and know she will be an excellent ASB President. Congratulations Lil D!!!

Above are a couple of pics of Lil D and Jordana from Prom.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Darel and congrats Mom and Dad for raising another outstanding young women. You two should right a book on how to raise amazing kids because you have done it right.

cheryl said...

That is so awesome! She's probably not only the Best President, but the most beautiful too. Way to go Darel!

Sydney said...

Lil D is going to out shine us all. She deserves it after being forced to be my slave her entire childhood. Way to go D! I know you'll do a great job, especially with Jo-jo helping you out.

Saimi said...

Gimme a D! Gimme a A! Gimme a R!
Gimme a E! Gimme a L! What's that spell DAREL Yay!!!

Congratulations you're going to be the schools best pres!!

Darcee said...

Thanks to Dad for posting some Prom pics so I can finally see your dress! I love it!!! You are such a hottie!
And I'm so proud of you for running! I know that was a scary campaign. Nice work, d!!!

smartchelsea said...

Darel deserves way more then ASB presidency for all Syd forced her to do growing up! Congrats Lil' D!! Just one more way you are showing the rest of us up--What will WVHS do without the Smarts?