Sunday, May 2, 2010

For a good time...Call CJ!



OK, so I know I'm way late on this post, but I just have to recap on my fun East Coast trip taken by myself. To illustrate: I was alone, completely by myself--without children, without strollers, without diapers, without drool, without spit up, without goobers--you get the point.
First, I flew to Boston to attend the wedding of two of my very good friends. It was without a doubt the snazziest wedding I've ever attended. It was on the 38th floor of the Downtown Harvard Club. My only regret is that I wish I had had Brent with me that night. He insisted that I go alone so I could add on the most fun part of my trip--livin' the crazy DC life with Chels!


Time with Chels never disappoints! She has friends in high places (the press secretary for Senator Risch from Idaho) who was able to give us a private Capitol tour. It pays to be a VIP, or at least to be related to one or at least to have a relation who rubs shoulders with them. However distantly, I felt like a VIP for a day.

Here I am, placing my foot in the very center of the Capitol which also happens to be the center of the District of Columbia. We were told rubbing your foot there brings good luck. I think I walked over it a few "extra" times just in case.
























And here we are next to my favorite statue in the Capitol Rotunda. It has 3 key suffragettes carved in marble: Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony and Lucretia Mott. Behind the women, there is a blank mound of marble. No one is sure if it will always be left faceless or if someday the first woman president will be carved here. Personally, I hope it's always left blank as a symbol for all women but what do I know?





We hit a few other hotspots: some of my personal favs and others were things I'd missed on my previous trips to DC. It was all around fun for someone as history-nerdy as me. I could wander around that whole city for days all by myself. But I did miss Brent and the kids horribly--more than I ever anticipated and was really, really glad to see them all again.

And I can't end my post without a "Shout Out" to Chels and her roomies who are the most popular girls in all of DC. Did you know that they had 90 people attend their housewarming party a few weeks ago? 90 PEOPLE!!! Seriously, do I even know 90 people?
Love to you ladies! Thanks for being so fun (and so popular)! I think your popularity might have rubbed off on me--at least for the weekend!

6 comments:

cheryl said...

Darcee I'm so glad you got little break from diapers goobers and the rest. You totally deserve it. It looked like so much fun and Chelsea has to be the best and most fun tour guide around, not to mention her being able to rub sholders with all the bigwigs. You two are so cute!

sheila said...

Hey Darc, great post! Looks like you had a wonderful time with the hostess with the mostest! I think those hotties in the last picture could give Susan B. Anthony and her cohorts a run for their money, what a great pic! Shout out to you Chels, I can't wait for June so I can spoil you all rotten. I am so glad you had a great trip Darc, I loved having the lil' treasures if only for a couple of days!

Sydney said...

So fun. Am I the only Smart girl NOT to go to the East coast this year?
CJ - Round up the troops. I'm dropping out of school and coming to visit!
It looks like you guys had such a great time! CJ always has been the party animal.

MaryJane said...

What a great get away. Do you think if Don and I came to D.C. Chelsey would squire us around too? We don't know any VIPs

chelsea said...

Dottie, Thanks for leaving the kiddles for a bit to come see me--it was so fun! Next, time I am hoping the whole family comes. I offer my services to anyone willing to make the hike to the opposite coast!

Darrell said...

A shout out to CJ and her roomies is always a good thing to do. They are all the "TP" (total package)! What a great trip.