Saturday, May 22, 2010

Petunia Boy


You know you are offspring of the great Petunia Boy (PB) if you have trimmed arborvitaes at midnight with the aid of the a head lamp, planted 200 box woods a few hours before Prom, spent spring break laying sawed, or planting any of the 6,000 tulips bulbs buried on the Smart property. PB’s was once quoted as saying, “the only reason I had children is so that I could have Yard Slaves”. And he lived by this philosophy. Saturday morning at the Smart household started early and finished with headlamps, sweat, blood, and some tears—and PB loved every moment of it. PB comes from a long line of garden slave drivers including Gma Phyl (who still comes to our house and manages to pick trash bags full of weeds before everyone else even gets out of bed) and Gma Pyper who rumor has it managed to get rid of her back lawn to make more room for her flower beds. As a result of forced yard slave labor, one does not claim Petunia Boy as a parent unless they have some sort of interest in horticulture.

Because of this, it has always been my dream to go to Holland during the tulip season. When my recent work trip routed my through the Netherlands right during tulip season, I decided to take some time to see my favorite flowers. I only had a day and a half but I made the most of it. I signed up for a tour and as luck would have it I was the only person who didn’t qualify for a senior citizen discount. I did however meet some nice elderly peeps including a couple from Portland and a Brazilian woman that spoke no English and thought if she kept speaking to me in Portuguese I would eventually understand her. The flowers were seriously incredible! I took over one hundred pictures. There weren’t only tulips but lots of other flowers and they even had a lily exhibit with lilies the size of my head








I also was able to see the house where Anne Frank and her family lived for 2 years hidden until they were found and taken to
concentration camps. This is the secret passageway that was normally hidden behind a bookcase.

Thanks to the volcanic ash, I was also able to see the Van Gough museum, take a jog along the Amster River, and visit the Bag and Purse Museum. A museum dedicated to history of purses and bags and yes it was as amazing as it sounds. It was next to the Rembrandt Museum and I only had time for one—don’t judge. It was the only time I felt a desire to steal something from a museum—they had the most incredible purses which I would have loved to add to my collection.


7 comments:

Darrell said...

this post makes me proud that my children have such fond memories of gardening and using their headlamps. I just knew that I was creating important childhood memories for each of you. Seriously though, the flowers look amazing. I would love to go during tulip season. You choice of museums cracks me up. i blame your mother for that decision.

Saimi said...

I bet PB was drooling over those gardens. Better watch out, he might get some crazy idea and give everyone head lamps for christmas...Why you ask....So you all can return to the slave compound and help plant more bulbs after he redesigns his flower beds.

Great photos!!

Sydney said...

While you missed out on some great Rembrandts - Who can blame you? A girls gotta do what makes her more fashionable - Isn't that a PB motto too? I'm pretty sure it is. I'm so glad you got to see Amsterdam. Its dirty, but all the flowers and AF House make it awesome. In other equally exciting yard slave news - Cole and Keith just got headlamps. Looks like PB is trying to fuel the same love we have for the yard in his young grandkids.

MaryJane said...

Chelsea, will you adopt me and take me on some of these great trips you take? Or maybe you can just open a business where you rent yourself out as a really cool tour guide to people "who knew you when."

Darcee said...

CJ-
I didn't know you got to go to Holland!!! Those pics are A-mazing! I thought you copied them off the internet at first. When are you going to call me back so we can finally chat about your trip?!!! Miss you! Can't wait to see you soon!

sheila said...

Wow Chels, those pictures leave me breathless!! Those flowers are amazing, I'm with Mary Jane on the tour guide gig, sign me up asap. Can't wait to see you soon, Dad will get the grill all fired up. Love and miss you, Mom

Megan Potter said...

With Sydney and Nick in our ward now, they gave talks this last sunday and Sydney talked about how she got a head lamp for Christmas one year and how embarrased and mad she was. I just sat in the back row of our Married student ward thinking of PB and laughed so hard. Thanks PB for teaching your kids how to work hard and how to garden! What great memories.