Tuesday, November 4, 2008


I was at the polls this morning at 6am so that I could vote before work. I still had to wait in line for an hour, but as I was waiting I couldn't help and feel patriotic at the fact that we live in a nation where so many people are able and willing to vote. This was actually the first presidential election I have voted in-the first I was a freshman at BYU and my absentee ballot never came and the second I was on my mission. Also, in the past I had always voted by absentee so I could still vote in WA, but this time it was exciting to be at the polls voting in person. I don't know if it's because I live in DC and work for the government or because I am older but this election has been so fun to follow. Living on the east coast has (gratefully) expanded the political feelings of my circle of friends and it is fun to get into friendly debates and discuss issues that most effect us as young, LDS, working professionals. At work, we collaborate with so many countries that have serious internal issues mostly related from ineffective, corrupt governments. I am grateful to live in a nation where I am able to vote so I hope you all exercise your right today! And I agree with Darc, Jesus would have been a democrat, after all he was (like another candidate currently running for president) a community organizer:). Happy Voting Day!!

1 comment:

Darrell said...

CJ I will never forget our Alternative Graduation Ceremony at BYU and getting to shake hands with Ralph Nader. What a privilege it is to be an American. Sometime,I will share with you my experience (in detail) in taking the oath as an officer at Ft. Lewis when I was commissioned a 2nd Lt. It was truly a spiritual experience to know that I had taken the same oath as the President of the United States to "defend the Constitution against enemies, foreign and domestic." Note, I did not take an oath to defend the President, nor the flag, nor the Army; rather my sacred duty was to defend the Constitution. Voting is such a privilege. I am so glad that you recognize the spiritual nature of what it means to be an American and enjoy our Constitutionally protected freedoms, including the right to vote. Just think, 44 years ago Black men were being denied the right to vote (hence the passage of the 1964 Voting Rights Act) and now we are on the verge of an African American walking through the front doors of the White House. Wow! Truly an amazing day for me too.